You’ve determined it’s time to start out in search of your subsequent govt profession transfer and also you’re not precisely certain the place to start out. For those who’re heading to HIMSS, you’re in luck. As the biggest heath IT convention, it’s the right alternative to gauge the job market and discover profession choices.
With greater than 45,000 attendees, 1,300 distributors and 300 instructional periods, HIMSS could be arduous to navigate. Whereas a exact method doesn’t exist, listed below are a number of tricks to profit from your time at HIMSS and extra conferences you attend.
- Strategize. With a lot happening directly, it’s straightforward to really feel overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of selections forward. To profit from your convention expertise, deal with it with the thought that you’ll be strolling miles, speaking with vital folks, and accumulating important info in your future success, to not point out accumulating free pens and enterprise playing cards. Have a look at the convention programming forward of time and plan to attend instructional periods that almost all align together with your subsequent profession transfer. After these periods, begin a dialog with the presenter and comply with up after the conference to proceed these discussions. For those who’re fascinated about shifting to the seller enviornment, select distributors that you simply’re fascinated about and make it some extent to study extra about their services or products. [Pro tip: Remember, vendors are there to sell a product or service, not generally to find their next innovative IT executive. You’re more likely to find salespeople than the HR team or other executives, but it’s a good way to start doing your homework on the organization.]
- Reconnect. For those who’re an IT govt, it’s secure to imagine you’ve made connections all through your profession. Take the time to reconnect with these pals and contemporaries and plan to have dinner or meet for a drink. That is the right time to commerce tales of battle scars you’ve all skilled alongside the best way. For those who’re fortunate, yow will discover one of many events hosted by a serious vendor and reconnect with a few of your colleagues. Always remember that sooner or later these colleagues might have somebody to be their alternative, and that somebody simply is perhaps you.
- Recruiters are your pals. Keep in mind, HIMSS is an opportunity to attach with recruiters like myself who you’ll work with for years to come back. Subsequently, if you happen to’re planning to get within the job market or simply dipping your toe in, among the best methods to get out there’s to attach with individuals who can give you probably the most visibility. There are a number of corporations focusing on IT govt recruitment, and now could be your probability to ascertain these relationships.
- Community, community, community. The significance of networking at a convention can’t be overstated. The largest mistake a job looking IT govt makes is an unwillingness to depart their bubble of colleagues to satisfy new folks. Overcoming the networking hurdle is essential. Pop your bubble, get pleasure from a shot of espresso, and capitalize on the expertise and experience surrounding you.
- Espresso and cozy footwear are your finest pals. Make no mistake, you’ll be strolling. When you’ve got your health tracker on, you’ll be setting new private bests strolling forwards and backwards throughout the conference corridor. There’s a variety of floor to cowl, and I’m not simply referencing the monstrous conference ground, and to profit from your expertise, you will want to be continuously on the transfer.
My remaining two cents? Get pleasure from your self! Large conferences are a chance to achieve insightful info, make new connections, and strengthen outdated ones. Embrace the super strides made in IT this 12 months, each yours and people of the organizations round you.
Zachary Durst is a senior affiliate in WittKieffer’s IT follow. He’s primarily based in Oak Brook, Sick., the place he focuses on searches to determine and place CMIOs, CIOs, and different IT leaders in hospitals, well being programs, educational medical facilities, and different health-related organizations.